Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sugoi Versa Jacket Review

Last year, I was in the market for a new, lightweight, water and wind resistant jacket for running and cycling.  Naturally, I checked out what Sugoi had to offer in that department and immediately became enamored with the Versa jacket. Apart from being a great jacket, it also quickly transforms into a vest with the very cool bolero style arms that quickly detach and re-attach with little magnets sewn right into the jacket itself.  I can't believe how simple it is to put them on or take them off - they practically reconnect by themselves - seriously, no exaggeration.

This video I snagged from the Sugoi website, shows how easily the sleeves come off and then pop into the back pocket.



So often, I head out for a run feeling chilly and then only 15 minutes in, I'm wishing I'd worn a vest instead. With this jacket, I am able to quickly pull the sleeves off and tuck them into my back pocket while I run. Other times, I've headed out in the vest and then slipped the sleeves on when I reached the wind by the lake. Either way, they work great!

Another thing I love about the jacket is that it has two pockets in front and one bigger one (cycling style) in the back.  I find this great for running and cycling. (I love pockets...)

They really pay attention to details at Sugoi as well.  Here are a few more features of the jacket.

* Mesh ventilation for maximum airflow
* Reverse coil separating zip with guard
* 2 comfortable front zip pockets
* 1 zip back pocket
* Dual adjustable shockcord
* Contrast elastic bound armhole
* 3M Reflective piping on front, side and back for added visibility

I've been wearing this jacket through an entire set of seasons now and have found it useful for many situations, even light rain or snow.   My only request now is that they make the next version with the back a little longer for cycling.  When I mentioned this to Sugoi, they happily told me they'd take the suggestion to their designers.

At $120 (Canadian), I think this versatile jacket is a great buy, and now my only problem is trying to decide what colour my next one will be.  :)

1 comment:

Ransick said...

I agree. That is my favorite jacket by far. I'm really impressed with how easy the arms are to attach too.