Saturday, October 1, 2011

Today is the First Day of the Rest of...

...my life. Yadda yadda yadda.  OK, you know how that line goes - but honestly, it's still a good way to look at things.  It's never too late to be who you might have been.... right? 

Today is October 1st and what better time to make a clean slate and start fresh. I've done really well sticking to my running plan for the last two weeks and now it's time to add in the rest of my goals.

The week before last, I ran 30-45 min on Tuesday and Thursday, and then a moderate paced (for me) 10 km last Sunday.  Then this past week, I ran 6k (40 min) on Wednesday (a hilly and fairly fast run with friends), and 4.5 km (30 min) after work on Friday, and I'm feeling pretty good despite jumping into 3 runs a week after only 1-2 a week the previous month.

Today's Work out
This morning, I did about an hour of core strength, yoga, foam roller, and stretching.  I decided to start off easy so I don't feel to sore to do another workout on Monday.

20 minutes core strength - focus on core, hip flexors and glute med

20 crunches
20 bike crunches
10 knee pushups
20 lunges
Downward dog
20 side leg lifts
20 crunches
20 bike crunches
10 knee pushups
10 one leg step downs
20 crunches
20 bike crunches
10 knee pushups
20 side leg lifts
1 min plank

15 min yoga - Runner's Yoga - I'm still feeling some pain in left hip/groin when I do Child's Pose, Runner's Lunge, Pigeon Pose etc.

5 min foam roller - focus on glutes, piriformis, ITB, and calves

15-20 min stretch - 1 minute hold for each stretch


Tomorrow's Plan

Tomorrow my plan is to run 10km - with a 2.5 km warmup, gradually building speed, then 5k at race pace, then 2.5 km cool down.

No comments: