Thursday, May 6, 2010

Yowza

Oh my, I've really been neglecting my blog.

I've been so busy with work, family, and training, that it's been tough to find the time and energy to post anything here.

I am just over a week away from the Oliver Sprint Triathlon and more than a little worried about the swim. A few days ago, my friend Paul emailed me to say that the current water temperature is only 15C (59F). Since then, then weather has continued cool and showery and although warmer weather is supposed to be on its way, it's not likely going to increase the water temperature enough to make me any less anxious. With predicted highs only around 70F max mid week next week, it's not going to make a lot of difference. Brrrrrrrr....... you all know how I HATE to get into the pool. Can't even fathom 60F water.

My training and long runs have been going well over all. I've been without shin pain for quite a while now and my longest two runs have been over 15 and 18 kms. For the most part, I feel tired and sore during the week but I'm usually fresh and raring to go for my longer workouts on the weekends.

For the past 3 weeks, I've done my mid-week run in the morning before work. It means getting up at 5am and being out the door by 5:30. It feels pretty good to run at that time of day, much better than after work on tired legs, but the down side is that I'm in a rush to get ready for work afterwards. It takes me a little while to cool down before I can shower and yesterday, I didn't have time to do my ritualistic post-run stretch and ice right after and today I'm feeling the effects. My Posterior Tibial Tendon (PTT) is VERY sore near the ankle today and it hurt quite a bit at work all day. I iced it at noon and this evening and I'm optimistic that it'll be feeling better by my long run Sunday. Keeping everything crossed until then.

Today I missed my swim workout as the forces conspired against me and I just couldn't fit it in. The upside is that I also had the opportunity to spend some quality time with my son and I really enjoyed his company and that is so much more important than a 45 min swim in my opinion.

Well that's all for now folks. I am wiped and heading to bed. Tomorrow is Friday and I have a busy work day ahead. Then I have to get my overdue allergy shot and probably go back to the school for Family Fun Night. Saturday, I have to ride for 2 1/2 hours and then we may head down to Penticton to watch the Barebones Duathlon. At this point, Erik's hamstring and groin pull are bothering him enough that he's decided not to race. I think it's probably the smartest thing to do.

See you later, thanks for reading. :)

No comments: