Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Physio

Went to see my physio therapist today to deal with a long term chronic issue that has not directly affected my running biking or swimming but that I suspect may be having some effect on my shin problems.

For a long time, several years in fact, I feel pain when I bring my left knee to my chest and I have more limited motion in the left leg when doing yoga and certain stretches. My PT did a number of strength tests of both legs and found my left leg was weaker in a few areas, but for the most part, was about the same as my right.

He concurred with the diagnosis that my MT and I came up - and he thinks that I probably tore or severely strained my Sartorious at some point. He says we need to break down the scar tissue in order to regain full mobility of that hip.

He showed me how to run the scar tissue while my leg is in a deep stretch and says I need to do that once a week for about 6 weeks. I'm going to give him an update in a month and if I am seeing no improvement, he's going to lend me an ultrasound unit to use daily at home and see if that will help get rid of the scar tissue.

So anyway, I'm happily on the way to getting that little issue dealt with.

He also looked at my spine and hips and noted that with the way my low back caves in at the spine, and my propensity for low back pain, he suspects I may have spondylolisthesis. He has it himself and he thinks that for the most part, as long as I stay fit and have strong abs, I probably won't have any problems with it. He recommended I see my doctor if I start to get any sciatic pain though.

********

I had a really crappy sleep last night so I don't think I'll have any trouble sleeping tonight. My plan is to get up at 5 and head out the door at 5:30 tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that me legs feel ok with this speedwork. My left shinbone was a little achey all day today, especially when I climbed the stair 20 times at work...

Cross your fingers....

No comments: