Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another Sunday Update

I think I should always update my blog on Sundays because it's almost always a good day. My legs aren't tired and I usually have had a few good weekend workouts. In other words, I'm in a great mood! :)

So how are things in Kelownagurl Land you ask?

Well they are just dandy. After 3 weeks, I figured out the pattern and didn't have a melt down when I hurt a lot during the week. That patience was rewarded with a great, more or less pain-free run today!

Apparently, my legs only hurt on week days. Coach and I think it's because I am on my feet all day at work, including a lot of stair-climbing, and then I run after work. I thought it was ok because it was just getting me used to running on tired legs. Coach thinks it's bad because it can lead to injuries.

So I am thinking through the concept of running in the morning before work. I did it once or twice last spring without much success but truth be told, I didn't give it much of a chance, so I have decided that I will give it another try. I figured it'll be a good thing whether it works or not. If it helps, then I will be motivated to continue getting up early to run. If it doesn't work, I will be able to say, there, I told you, it doesn't work, and continue to sleep in until 6:30am. It's a win-win situation right?

OK so I have a 12 year old son whom I have to be home to prod to school every morning. I need to be getting ready for school by 7am. That means I should be home from my run by 6:45am at the latest. That means I have to run out of the door by 5:45am. That means I need to set my alarm for about 5am so I can have a cup of coffee, eat a little yogurt and get my system moving before I leave.

Getting up at 5am is about an hour and a half earlier than I currently get up. That means I should probably go to bed about 90 minutes earlier too. Going to bed at 9pm is not very practical or likely. But I think if I can be asleep by 9:45 -10pm I should be ok. I sleep really crappy 60% of nights though, due to constant hot flashes/night sweats. Hopefully I'll have a good night before I have an early run.

Erik said I could get to bed a lot earlier if I just turned off the computer earlier, so I went into the settings and have it set to turn off at 9:30pm. I realize I can just bypass that if I want to, but I'm hoping it'll at least give me the KITA that I need to head to bed.


Training This Coming Week

Monday - 70 min swim. 20 min WU. 40 min steady swim. 10 min CD. I like this kind of swim - I will enjoy this.

Tuesday - Physio Appt. I finally made an appt with the PT. My MT and I think we have isolated the issue with my hip/groin. We think it's the Sartorious muscle that is bothering me. This has been a chronic pain for several years. It does not hurt with I swim bike or run so I have ignored it. However, it's starting to get worse and I suspect it is affecting the other muscles in my legs. How could it not?

If I turn my knee out the wrong way, it sometimes snaps right at the attachment point in my groin. That hurts. I can also feel it when I do yoga or other types of stretching and I cannot bring my left knee to my chest without feeling it.

My MT also noticed that my upper shin/calf area is painful where the Sartorious attaches below the knee as well.

Wednesday - Run speed work!!!! So excited! Except that I have to get up at 5am to do it!! Still trying to be excited anyway!! :D I have a one hour run that has surges at a 5k pace. 2 min 5k pace, 1 min recover, 1 min surge, 30 sec recover, 30 sec surge, 30 sec recover. Repeat. This sounds fun. Wish I could do it down on the Greenway but it'll have to be in the neighbourhood because I'm running alone early in the morning.

Thursday - Bike 1 hour bike. 30 seconds hard 30 seconds easy X 15-20. Just gotta find the right course for this. He's got more info there and I don't totally understand exactly how to do this so I will ask him to explain a little more.

Friday - off

Saturday - Swim and Bike

- Swim 3600m (he's got that down as taking 1:10 LMAO - more like 1:30) long complicated workout.

- Bike 2:20 with 20 min intervals in Zone 3. Gotta find a good place to do this where I'm not interrupted. Might have to go back and forth on some road that takes me 20 min to ride uninterrupted. Not easy to find. It's also going to be really hard to fit both of those in that day unless I do some fancy planning.

Sunday - 2 hour run. I'll do this in Penticton along Skaha Lake while Erik is doing a duathlon rehearsal. I get to run a little faster into Zone 3 too. That should be interesting!

Looks like a whole lotta fun I think. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Lois Lane 33 said...

I too am on my feet all day and I highly recommend compression trouser socks. I get a mild compression; they look like knee highs that I wear with pants/jeans and no one is the wiser. I get them from Thermawear.com, which often has them on clearance. For the past few months I've noticed a difference in how my legs feel after work and how possible it is for me to run later in the day. My feet barely ache at all.

Glenn Jones said...

Lois Lane beat me to the punch....

Just so you know you're not alone - I have a difficult time running in the AM. I tried at one point and was pretty unsuccessful. On top of that, even though I turned my computer off early, I found I just replaced it with the TV. Good luck!