Monday, November 2, 2009

November 2, 2009

I'm baaack....

First off, here's a link for Sandy - see her comment on my last point.

http://allanswalk.blogspot.com/2007/05/forefoot-running.html

I don't think I have any forefoot running info on my own site. Everything I know, I've learned from podcasts and from talking to other people, and from talking to a running coach. However, I googled forefoot running and I think the site above pretty well sums up my thoughts on the topic (so far.) I am not an expert, I am only learning.

I don't really know if forefoot running is going to help me in the long run (no pun intended) but I figure it's worth a try. The main thing I got out of my talk with the running coach is that I think people shouldn't try to switch to FF running on their own. I think they should at least talk to a coach and get some pointers so they don't get new injuries.

I am currently reading Born to Run and I'm enjoying it. Sorta. It's all a little fantastical so I'll reserve judgement until I've finished it.

I felt pretty darn good today. So good that I could have gone for a run. BUT I had an appt to get my allergy shot after school and I couldn't miss that. Sadly, I'm not supposed to exercise after getting my shot so I was messed up for the rest of the afternoon/ evening. I'm hoping I can hold this good feeling until tomorrow. Only downside is, I have a dentist appt at 4pm and I won't be home until after 5. If I run, the boys will have to wait for dinner. We'll see.

So I still haven't got the flu yet - most of the fatigue and achiness I've been feeling off and on for the past two weeks seems to be gone. I'm not 100% yet, but I'm feeling MUCH better and almost energetic at times.

I've also been starting to get a handle on why I keep having rushes of not feeling well. I think some of it is due to mild hot flashes and the related effects. Gentlemen, and ladies under 45, you can skip this part if you want to. :) Recently, I was sent a link to this very interesting site that gave some great detailed info about menopause and hot flashes. http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/menopausal/facing/hot_flashes.jsp I've been having night sweats for several years now and they don't even bother me anymore, but two months ago, I stopped taking the pill, and I've begun to have the occasional hot flash during the day. They're pretty mild so far but it should be interesting to see how this affects my training when I start to workout harder. I doubt I'll even notice them then actually, I'm always super hot when I'm working out anyway.

I actually find this whole stage of life quite interesting and exciting and I find myself wanting to shout out to strangers - "Hey guess what, I'm having a hot flash!" instead of being embarrassed about it. I have no clue why. So anyway, all you women out there will appreciate this - I probably don't have to worry about the timing of my races anymore if ya know what I mean. It's certainly an issue for female athletes. Personally, I have always manipulated nature by taking the pill right thru racing season so I didn't have to deal, but not every woman can do that. I'm curious to know how other female athletes deal with menstruation and racing. And if any post-menopausal women out there have any advice, feel free to email me. :)

Training

I've been doing my stretching for the last two days. That's my main goal right now. My hamstrings are pretty tight lately and I think that's from the FF running. I don't want to have a new issue to deal with so I've added some hamstring stretches to the mix. The whole stretching routine easily takes me 30 minutes in the evening and I try to squeeze in at least 10-15 mins worth earlier in the day as well if I can.

Okey dokey, gotta go stretch before I hit the sack. Later...

1 comment:

Solitaire said...

THANK you for the forefoot blog - going to look at that with interest. I really appreciate it.

BTW, I just call hot flashes and the like "Personal Weather" now. Makes women over 45 laugh and men and girls cock their heads in that cute "huh?" ear-to-shoulder thang.

Still on the "no junk food" pact - and OH MY LORD IN HEAVEN did I have bad G.I. reaction to my potato chip extravaganza last night! W-o-a-h. I will not do that again in a LONG TIME. I always forget what a boatload of fat does to my system. Not pretty.

Saturday is the kick-off for the Ironman with Team In Training. I can do what they "say" (30 min run 16 length swim 30 min bike) so I can get on the team. I have all sorts of imaginary gremlins going thru my head - being the most out of shape; being the oldest; being the whateverest. We'll see.

When ~I'm~ running (this cannot be good) my calves and feet go numb. Yeah, really. I asked my chiropractor and he said..."stop running." Thanks doc.