Friday, September 19, 2008

Running nose, Running Blogs, Hit and Run, Running for cover, Running like a crazy girl!

Vote for me, vote for me!!!!

I've been having a little fun with my Twitter pals with the ongoing battle of the sexes. First Nigel started the Bad Boys of Running blog, with the Twitter girls, Nik, Maddy, and I, quickly following suit with our own Bad Girls of Running website. Then one evening last week, I noticed that the boys were looking for logo suggestion so I offered a few of my own ideas. What do you think?






For some strange reason, the boys weren't interested in my suggestions and deleted them from the website. Luckily I saved a copy for all to see and wrote about it on our Bad Girls Blog.



The next day, Nigel started the Bad Boys "Me and my F'ing Axe" contest, and threatened the girls not to enter. Well naturally I HAD to enter the baddest, guitar-playing pic I could find - me playing guitar at school, sitting on a desk with my sandals on. How bad is that?



Luckily for me, I made it in as one of the five finalists! And for the time being, I am winning! (At the time of writing this blog, I have 18 votes. My closest competitor has 6.)

So go vote for me (even if you're a boy!) The voting closes in 6 days - September 25th?)

I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing...


Running Update

Well this has been my 'do or die' week for my half marathon training. As I've mentioned before, I haven't had a good, pain-free run since my tri and it's doubtful that I can get my miles up before the race on October 12. I had decided that if I could have two good 5k runs this week AND a 12k run on the weekend, I could conceivable get the miles up in time.

4-5k Tuesday and Thursday

Long runs
Sept. 20 - 12km
Sept. 27 - 14km
Oct. 4 - 16km
Oct. 12 - 22km run

Hmmm, I thought I had an extra week in there to run 18km. Not sure if I can jump to a full half marathon from 16km. We'll see I guess.

ANYWAY, I am SO happy to report that I HAVE had two good runs this week! I forced myself to go out for a run on Tuesday night and again before supper on Thursday. I was tired, had a cold, and really didn't feel like running but I knew I had to. And lo and behold, I felt good! I didn't have to take walk breaks and I finished feeling like I could run further. All I have to do is run 12km tomorrow and maybe, I can make it.

If not, I'll do train anyway, and do the 10k on the 12th. Or maybe I'll do my own 22km the week after. I know that the World Wide Festival of Races people won't mind.


Van Update


I got the van back on Wednesday and it seems ok. There were papers and stuff from the car strewn all over and it was really dusty because the windows had been left open for a week but it seems to be running ok and there was hardly any gas missing. I'm very relieved. Sad to say, Jesse's bike was missing, but his helmet was there. I'll let him ride my mountain bike for awhile I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet pic, a teacher rocking out on the guitar. Gotta love it.

As far as the mileage goes, as long as you get close I wouldn't worry about it. The longest run I did before my first half was 12 miles, but because of time I was only doing about 25 miles a week. I think you'll be in good shape.

Unknown said...

Just voted for you!!! Congrats on the 2 great runs AND having your van back, bummer about the bicycle. Hopefully karma will bite them in the butt soon.

Gabrielle

Nigelrunner said...

I've got my eye on you !
Slash.

Kelownagurl said...

Nigel - that's what you boys always say to the bad girls...

Gabrielle - thanks for the vote! My 12km today was so-so. First 8k felt great then knee and lower leg pain for the last 3-4km so I did a run/walk. But hey, at least I finished it. :)

Nathan - thanks for comment. :) Stay safe!